Saturday, January 1, 2011

Quick and dirty recipe: SCD banana nut pudding


I first discovered this easy, easy recipe on pecanbread.com. I'm semi-following their "stages" program as I slowly transition myself onto the "full" SCD diet, complete with raw veggies and nut flours (I'm not quite there yet). Luckily for me, they have a recipe section that's sorted by stage, and it was here I discovered banana nut pudding when I was introducing nut butter.


Banana nut pudding is basically:
SCD yogurt
Nut butter
Honey to taste
Banana
All mixed together in a bowl and eaten. I eat it with almond butter, light on the honey (some people prefer a more generous portion), and with a whole ripe banana mashed in. Chill for an hour or so and enjoy.
Possible variations:
I bet this would taste wonderfully rich with cashew butter. Another way to add richness would be by using a yogurt made with cream instead of milk.
Nix the banana altogether. I saw this variation on Renegade Foodie using crême fraîche instead of yogurt.
You could also replace the banana with other fruits, like berries.
Try nut butters and fruits that go well together. Almonds are friends with raspberries and apricots, macadamias favour tropical fruits such as mango or pineapple, and rich cashews need something lighter, like a pear or applesauce. I've tried cherry with almond, but it needed some honey. I think next time I'd try a cherry sauce instead.
More advanced SCDers could add coconut and chopped nuts to the mix. A pina colada nut pudding with pineapple, coconut, and macadmaias sounds pretty tasty to me.
I've tried freezing the pudding once, but that messed up the texture of the yogurt. It might work if you mixed it up in the food processor after freezing, like in SCD banana ice cream, but I haven't tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment