Sunday, November 21, 2010

day 14: gratitude and attitude



Black coat: thrifted

Blue scarf: gifted
Navy cardi: Joe Fresh
Long-sleeved grey tee: thrifted
Patterned white tank: American Eagle Outfitters
Booty shorts: gifted

This is what I look like after 40 minutes of walking and an hourlong pole dance class. Usually I put my pants back on before venturing out into the cold 20-minute walk home, but I was feeling sassy. It was a bit chilly on my legs, but being bundled up on top kept me from freezing my tush off.

On my walk home, I was thinking about my body and how sore it was and how much it ached all over, but yet, how wonderful that I can do all these things in the first place. So many people are disabled and don't have the blessing that I do - being able to move and do what you want your body to do. I am especially aware of this because of my Crohn's - there are plenty of people with my disease who can only dream of regular exercise. I remember when my arthritis was so bad that I had to drop out of my ballet class. All I could do was sit and watch my classmates dance, aching to be dancing myself. Thankfully, I'm now able to exercise regularly and once a week, I get to twirl around on a pole and dance as much as I want to.

So in spite of all my bruises and illnesses and inadequacies, I love my body and all it can do.

(I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that this was inspired, or just plain copied, from academichic's body appreciation week annual blog event).

No comments:

Post a Comment