Sunday, February 20, 2011

15 of 30: Not productive, but VERY fun.



navy maxidress: thrifted, Old Navy // pink cardigan: consignment-ed, Calvin Klein // black wide elastic belt: thrifted // earrings: gifted.

I wore a 30 for 30 outfit today, since I feel like I'm behind. Besides, if my outfit looks bad, at least it's a weekend, right? Anyway. But did I take pictures? Not really, no. Instead, my husband, younger brother and I hung out and read funny articles to each other, ate cheesecake, and then went for a walk. Then we sent my younger brother off for the week and the husband and I did a bunch of stuff:
We went to the thrift store (in this case, the Salvation Army in our neighbourhood). We bought a bizarre three-photo series of a man who appears to live in the 1970s...permanently. He has the mustache to prove it. An elderly gentleman in the thrift store was convinced that the man was a jazz musician that he'd seen before. We were bummed out to hear that there were actually more of the photos, but someone has bought the other 3 the night before.
We also picked up something practical: a navy futon cover to hide our ugly 80s-style multicoloured pastel monstrosity. This looks so much better on our futon.
I also had a weird experience: the items I donated earlier this week after a closet purge were for sale in the store! I knew the Gap maxi-dress was the same one I'd donated because the stain on the stomach was still there (le blush).
For dinner, we made a meatza (SCD ground-beef-crust pizza) for the first time. For toppings, we had crumbled bacon, yellow pepper, tomato, sauteed onions and mushrooms with brick and parmesan cheeses.
For an appetizer, I made a salad with a spicy mustard vinaigrette. It was my first time making a vinaigrette that actually followed a recipe, which is probably why it actually tasted good. I'm really excited to be able to eat raw fruit and veggies, and really excited by my creativity!Here's the vinaigrette recipe: mix together 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons Dijon or spicy brown mustard, and 1 teaspoon honey, using whisk or a fork. Adjust proportions to taste. That wasn't so hard, was it? I used the dressing on top of a salad with baby spinach, spring mix, red d'Anjou pear, and crumbled pecans. It was very tasty. If you're a strawberry fan, slice some of those babies in as well. They'll be happy to be there.
Later on, we had some friends over. I served them some cocoa-orange banana ice cream. I know cocoa isn't SCD-legal, but it hasn't bothered me in the slightest.
Though it was not as productive of a day as I had planned, it was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. Your outfit is so cute! And so is your blog, by the waaaaay.

    http://adailyolive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Olivia! You have a pretty cute blog yourself. :)

    Maxidresses are the BEST easy winter outfit. Just throw them on with as many layers hiding underneath that skirt as you want.

    ReplyDelete